Documentary filmmaking is an excellent opportunity for you to tell a unique story without requiring all the gear and crew that a narrative project might.
Whether it’s a short or feature-length video for YouTube, or for theaters across the country: the time is now for you to tell a personal story that only you can tell. Most filmmakers get into this business to make narrative pieces. There’s certainly nothing wrong with that, but let me pose a question. Do you think it’s more important to provide a momentary distraction from the world’s problems? Or, is it more important to provide possible answers for how to fix them?
By shining an unflinching light on a topic that you understand intimately (or are at least passionate about learning more about) you will be able to bring awareness to a hidden facet of life that many other people can relate to. As a woman, minority, or someone else who hasn’t traditionally made movies in Hollywood, you may have an alternative and vital viewpoint.
Documentary Video Pricing
There are multiple factors to consider when estimating how much your documentary video is going to cost to produce but typically they are in the $75,000-$250,000 range for the vast majority of our projects. We understand that this is still a really big range and why we ask a bunch of questions to learn more about your specific needs.
Questions to discuss with your Chosen Production Company
Now that you’re ready to begin planning, below are a few good starting questions to help us dial in on a more accurate quote:
– What type of video are we producing?
– Are we coming up with the creative and/or writing the script? Storyboards?
– Is there onscreen talent, if so, are they talking on camera and who is casting them? If not, are we hiring a voice talent?
– Where are we shooting and how many locations? Location scout?
– How many days of shooting?
– Do we need to pull permits?
– Do we need props?
– What crew is needed?
– What gear is needed?
– Travel, lodging & crafty?
– Are we getting any drone footage?
– How about hair & makeup and wardrobe stylist?
– What is the length of the final video(s)?
– Can you provide us with examples of similar videos that you like?
– Are we doing any motion graphics or animation?